Do you find yourself backing out of gym plans at the last minute?
Or sinking down on the sofa with a glass of wine when you’d vowed to go to the gym?
Then you’ve come to the right place!
I haven’t set foot inside a gym since I became a mum – I go running and swimming instead, and have a mat and dumbbells for strengthening exercises at home – but it can be hard to stay motivated, especially when you’ve been running around after the kids all day and you’re knackered from broken nights.
So what can you do? Here’s what Virgin Active’s gym bunnies say.
5 simple ways to stick to an exercise routine
1. Go to bed early. Making sure you’re not too tired and have had a good night’s sleep is cited as key to sticking to an excercise regime – 9.44pm is the optimum time according to the poll.
2. Tell someone else about your plans. Because if you’ve already told someone you’re planning to exercise it’s harder to back out.
3. Have three sets of exercise clothes. That way you always have something to wear and aren’t unfurling sweaty gym gear or damp swimming costumes from the dirty laundry basket.
4. Exercise first thing in the morning. Because there’s less time to change your mind or talk yourself out of it.
5. Pack your gym or swimming bag in advance. Two and a half hours before you plan to go is the best time according to Virgin Active’s gym bunnies. Then you can’t make excuses while faffing around first.
Do you have an exercise routine and do you find it hard or easy to stick to? If you have any top tips I’d love to hear them!
Virgin Active is running a #NoExcuses campaign offering 12 months membership with nothing to pay until February and no joining fee until Wednesday January 17th 2018.