That’s how long I’ve been a school mum for, and the truth is during that time I’ve picked up some bad habits.
They’re habits I’m determined to break, so for the very first time – as the oldest goes into year three – I’ve decided to make some back to school new year resolutions.
My back to school new year resolutions
1. I will put school uniform in the washing machine on a Friday night, not at 10pm on a Sunday night.
2. I will not dry school jumper cuffs with my hair dryer on Monday mornings as a result of a 10pm Sunday wash.
3. I will not let Velcro fluff accumulate to the extent it becomes a health and safety hazard. I will defluff at regular intervals.
4. I will try and stop referring to Alpha mum as Alpha mum. Or not out loud, anyway.
5. I will try not to serve eggy bread for tea more than once a week.
6. I will pay for school trips as soon as I get the notification from Parent Pay, not six months later in a fit of guilt.
7. I will admit that I don’t actually have the login details for Parent Pay, and ask for them.
8. I will try not to swear in front of the kids when Parent Mail informs me of a book day/Tudor feast/work share with less than 24 hours notice. I will swear into a kitchen cupboard instead.
9. I will try and enjoy sports day. Even if it is the most mind-numbingly boring event on the school calendar.
10. I will *try* to have more alcohol-free school nights (excluding instances of less than 24 hours notice for book day/Tudor feast/work share, of course).
Is there anything you’ve resolved to try and do differently this school year? Have you made any back to school new year resolutions? I’d love to hear what they are!