There’s nothing like a hearty bowl of soup to warm you up on a winter’s day, but have you ever considered giving soup to your baby?
I’d always steered clear of anything soup-related after BB pulled a steaming bowl of the stuff onto herself when she was about five months old.
But I’ve recently discovered soup is the perfect food for babies and toddlers after giving some to Little B and seeing how much he loved it.
5 reasons you should give your baby soup
1. It’s easy for them to eat (or drink). If you’ve just started weaning or they don’t have many teeth yet soup is easy for babies and toddlers to eat, while giving them all the nutrition of a main meal.
2. Soup can help with teething. If they’re going through a particularly bad bout of teething, try giving them chilled soup. It will soothe their aching gums and won’t aggravate their mouth like hot or warm food will.
3. You can hide vegetables in it. If they baulk at broccoli or cry at the sight of a carrot, soup can hide a multitude of nutritious, fibre-rich veggies. Just make sure you blitz it as smooth as possible first.
4. It’s an easy peasy meal. You can either make a big batch from scratch and freeze it for later to make life easy in the long run, or buy it. Little Dish has just added three toddler soups to its range (£1.25 each) for age one upwards and all you have to do is stick them in the microwave and they’re done.
They come in single-portion tomato, chicken & veg and carrot & butternut flavours (I managed to pass that one off as tomato) and contain two of the recommended five-a-day as well as being low in salt with no added sugar. Basically, like you made it yourself.
5. Soup can help them learn to feed themselves. If you make it nice and thick – the recipes on Little Dish’s website are worth a look – soup will stick to the spoon nicely without rolling off like peas or slipping away like pasta.
There is one down side though: if you’re going to let them feed themselves things will get messy (excuse the pink bib – it was BB’s).
Win a month’s supply of Little Dish soups!
We’ve teamed up with Little Dish to offer five lucky readers (so there’s five chances of winning!) a month’s supply of Little Dish soups, a box of Go Gos snacks and Little Dish’s brand new toddler nutrition guide.
You’ll get eight soups delivered to your door in a Little Dish cool bag (perfect to use for picnics afterwards) as well as a box of five individual packets of Go Gos in one of the brand’s new flavours – cheese, tomato & herb, apple or coconut – and the nutrition guide.
I love Go Gos because they’re perfect to keep in the cupboard at home for a quick snack, or in the nappy bag when we’re on the go, and each packet comes with its own super cute resealable sticker.
They even happen to have one with Little B’s name on!
The competition runs from now until midnight on Wednesday November 2 2016 and is open to UK residents only due to the nature of the prize (the soups are fresh!) All you have to do to enter is comment on this post stating who the soups would be for, visit my Facebook page, follow me on Instagram or follow me on Twitter via the Rafflecopter form below.
We were sent a hamper of the new Little Dish soups and Go Gos free of charge in exchange for this post. As always all opinions are my own and based on my own honest experience.
Linking up with…