Got a spot of the January blues? Then I’ve got just the tonic!
Christmas might be over, it might be cold and dark outside and you might have eaten and drunk just a little bit too much, but believe it or not there are plenty of reasons to be cheerful.
10 things to look forward to in 2018
1. The next Disney x Cath Kidston collaboration. 2017 saw Peter Pan and Minnie Mouse woven into Cath Kidston’s signature prints and the sixth collection is due in 2018. We don’t know what and we don’t know when but sign up to their priority email club and you can be among the first to know.
2. Longer days. We spring into spring on Sunday March 25 when the clocks go forward one hour. Bring it on.
3. The possibility of a good night’s sleep. I haven’t had a proper night’s sleep since the arrival of baby number three in February 2017, and if you’ve got a new baby the chances are you haven’t either. But there’s a good chance of it happening in 2018, right? Right? PLEASE say I’m right!
4. A new royal baby. I’m a journalist and there’s a saying in the industry that there’s no such thing as good news, but actually there is. If you like a royal news story because you’re a nosy parker like me prepare to be entertained by wall to wall coverage and picture specials, or if you can’t stand them prepare to be entertained by satire and wit from all the usual panel shows and columnists. It’s a win win.
5. Easter. Especially if you’re a parent, because it means even more chocolate. And you don’t get much better than kids’ chocolate.
6. The royal wedding. The only thing better than a royal baby is a royal wedding, and in case you’ve been on another planet I’m talking about the impending nuptials of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. For the same reasons as the royal baby.
7. The Great British Bake Off. It’s back on Channel 4 this summer and whether you’re into baking or not it’s worth watching for Noel Fielding’s shirts alone.
8. Poldark series 4. It’s set to air in early summer, although the exact date is still to be confirmed. Think Aidan Turner’s torso, breathtaking Cornish landscapes…and more of Aidan Turner’s torso.
9. The new gender pay gap law. Companies with at least 250 employees must reveal differences in pay between men and women at their business from April. No doubt it’ll open a can of worms, but it’s a good can of worms.
10. Boozy cheese. It’s set to be the next big thing, apparently. Watch out for raspberry & prosecco Wensleydale and gin & lemon Cheshire coming to a supermarket near you.
What are you looking forward to in 2018? Is there anything on my list that especially cheers you up? I’d love to know what it is!